Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Eco Babies

This morning I was reading an article from Organic Style magazine (the best magazine in the world.) It was about having a baby and not giving in to all of the "stuff" you think you need -- heated baby wipes, 25 different onesies, toys, toys, toys. The writer (whose style I really love) wrote about her experience with baby showers, baby shopping, and overloading herself with information to make herself and her husband eco-conscious while raising their child.

They made excellent efforts -- encouraging hand-me-down toys and clothes for shower gifts, using organic cloth diapers instead of disposables, buying clothes and furniture at second-hand stores. But in the process, she made herself crazy. She feared every plastic toy because of the PVC content, she bought eco-friendly wooden toys then was paranoid about that the paint might contain lead, the list goes on...

Basically, she made two conclusions:
1. When you have a baby, buy only what's necessary. Your child will not go without. People (friends, family) love to buy for babies -- those gifts you receive will be more than adequate for your child. Everyone knows they'll enjoy the boxes and your keys more than they do the new (or used!) toys anyway.

2. It's important to educate yourself, and congratulate yourself on the efforts you ARE making. Don't be discouraged that others aren't in the battle with you -- their efforts don't necessarily cancel yours out, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING, but you cannot do everything.

She ended her article (I really wish I had it here so that I could at least credit her) telling about her walk with her child a few days prior...she was showing him the trees and the birds and the rocks and the water...all of a sudden a ton of birds flew up from a tree nearby into the sky. Her son got so excited he couldn't contain himself. She thought to herself, "This is why I try...so that my son's children can enjoy this."

What I thought was more important, though, is the example she and her husband are setting for their children. Sure, there are things we can do to take care of our world today, but children learn by example -- teaching them how to care for it 20 years from now needs some focus.

God knows I'm not perfect. But I do try, and I should work harder. What are you doing?