Sunday, May 01, 2005

Bob and Panic

I learned two things this weekend...That I don't like Widespread Panic, and I love a Belini. We headed out to the Arts Festival in Southlake late Saturday afternoon, entire family in tow. I had convinced my cousins to come along and see Bob Schneider play that evening, and I convinced them to let me take their 15 year old daughter to the Widespread Panic show after that. Same goes for Todd -- his family came and his little brother also wanted to see "Panic", as they say.

Well the entire time that we're at the festival, I can't quit talking about how excited I was about Bob and how much they were going to love him, etc., etc., etc. (I can go on about things sometimes. Nobody ever stops me?) I tried a frozen Belini and am in love with it. If you're coming to our wedding, I hope you like a Belini. I also ate some roasted corn on the cob and loved it as well, although I don't think it will make an appearance at the wedding. We'll be drinking, mostly.

Anyway. So Bob finally comes on. And he was by himself? Without a band. This isn't terrible in itself, but it was clear that he didn't want to be there. Poor guy. They had about ten rows of chairs set up in front of the stage (there was a country music chick singing before him, I just assumed they'd move those out of the way. Nobody sits down at a Bob Schneider show...?) Anyway, a bunch of locals came in and plopped down and watched the show. And that's all they did. Watched. I'm not even sure they were listening. I caught Bob checking his watch a few times.

There were entertaining parts -- his music is always good and I've never seen him like that before (although I prefer him in a bar with the bad and with the dirty words.) He had no idea where he was...he likes to integrate the town name into his songs sometimes...and he had no idea where he was. That was pretty funny. Then listening to some of his tunes where he oftentimes integrates some vulgarity or dirty words...and he couldn't...he actually stopped one time during a song and said, "They wrote me a letter. Told me I couldn't use any cuss words here because of the kids. I think the kids like the cuss words. It's the parents who don't. This is like cutting me off at the knees, this is what I do."

Poor guy.

So we head over to Widespread Panic. I could go into details about how that concert started (some teenagers were in our suite drinking our beer when they weren't supposed to, so security came in and ticketed everyone to make sure they were supposed to be there. Turns out the kids had tickets to the suite, but my friends who were hanging out up there with us didn't, and they got thrown out. They had been watching the kids walk in and out of the suite with the drinks...Joy.) Anyway, I don't know if it was because of this incident or if it was because my stomach wasn't feeling well...but I really didn't enjoy the concert. I wanted to like the music, but I couldn't. I left early and was giddy on the way home because there wasn't a car in sight, no traffic, no waiting. Smooth sailing.

So that was it. Other than that I got some shopping done this weekend, stuff for the wedding. A few checkboxes earned their checks this weekend, and it feels good to get some things done.

Hope everyone else had a good one.
Paz.