Monday, April 18, 2005

Weekends Fly

Friday...
Todd, his brother and I went to see "Fever Pitch" Friday night. It was cute. I think I expected more. It's based on a novel by Nick Hornby -- same dude who wrote "High Fidelity" and "About a Boy" -- both novels turned into, in my opinion, great movies. But this one... I think maybe it was too much of a departure from the book itself? I've not read the book, but I do know that it's about football (or soccer, for my American readers), not baseball. Not that it's difficult to make that transition for the point of this movie, but... I don't know. It was no "High Fidelity". I think Drew Barrymore kind of irks me, at least her hair really irked me in this movie. And Jimmy Fallon seemed to always be wearing a ton of make-up. And I couldn't stop trying to figure out what "Fever Pitch" means. Clearly, it has nothing to do with baseball. Am I missing something?

Saturday...
Saturday was spent preparing for a surprise birthday party that my friend Vincent and I threw our friend Mary. She's 30 now, you know. I think we pulled it off without her suspecting anything, and it was a blast. After shopping for food and beverages, we started the celebration doing pottery (one of our favorite old-people things to do) and then headed to Vincent's house where 30+ of her family and friends waited for her entrance. She has such a great family, some flew in last minute for the party, they said they wouldn't have missed it for the world. Great people, great fun.

Sunday...
I had a nail in my tire. It was sticking out about two inches from the side of the tire. Ughh. I hate driving over a nail more than I do stepping in bubble gum. Got that fixed after church, ate a big, fattening breakfast, and then picked Jack up and headed to Todd's brother's soccer game. It was nice to be outside -- although it was very windy the temperature was perfect and everyone got sunburned but me. I hang out with a bunch of pasty white crackers, I guess.

Sunday evening we ate more fattening food and rented "Open Water". Couple things to say about this one:
1. Boring
2. Long
3. Was the nudity at the beginning of the movie really necessary?
4. Maybe I should go snow skiing for my honeymoon...

I'm exhausted today. I have hours upon hours of work to do, but all I want to do is put my head down on my desk and sleep.

Question -- how did my dog get fleas? I put the stuff on his neck, clearly I'm doing it wrong. Does this mean my cat has fleas? Can I just put more of the stuff on their necks, and it will all be okay? Poor babies. The joys of apartment dwelling... Thankfully, I only saw a couple on him. But I have a feeling that somewhere out there, there is a statistic that says "for every two fleas you actually see on an animal, there are 1,000 more" or something like that.

Gross.