Friday, April 01, 2005

Lays potato chip, anyone?

I just got back from seeing the ophthalmologist. I opted for seeing her this time, rather than my regular optometrist, because I had this feeling that with all the issues I have with my eyes, maybe it's time to go see an M.D.

She told me some things I already knew:
1. My eyes really are in horrible shape
2. I'm blind
3. My corneas are very thin
4. I have pingueculas
5. I have very large pupils (I think my sister told me that when I was about 12, so this was no surprise, AGAIN.)
6. I need to stop sleeping in my contacts
7. I am not a candidate for corrective surgery
8. I am not a candidate for wearing glasses in any shape or form

But she told me some things I didn't know, which I found interesting:
1. My corneas have the topography of a potato chip
2. Almost all my problems are likely genetic, I was born with them -- I've not mistreated my eyes in any way
3. Growing up in an area of the country where there is more sun than hazy skies is a cause of pingueculas
4. Every night I sleep in my contacts = one day I won't be able to wear contacts in the future

I needed someone to lay down the law about sleeping in the lenses. I'm just so pissed that I don't have a pair of glasses to wear in my prescription for when I take OUT the contacts. I cannot drive in my glasses, I cannot see the TV, I cannot read. I'm useless.

Mostly, I'm scared about what the next 40-50 years look like for me with my vision. It keeps getting worse, and it's already so bad that I can't see the "E". Hell, I could barely see the chair she wanted me to sit in because there wasn't enough contrast between the color of its fabric and that of the carpet. "What chair?"

I didn't even get a new set of contacts. I've got to wait for her to do more tests and treatments. I don't even know what those are. Ughh. Frustration building. Hives multiplying.

Todd has perfect vision. I pray to God that our children don't get my eyes. Mostly because I want to tell when they're dilated for other reasons. Unlike me, I'm always dilated. Or as my cousin Jim calls me, "The Black Hole." (He's referring to my eyes, kids.)

Happy weekend.