Monday, March 21, 2005

Get used to it.

Have you ever wondered what it's like to have just a normal name, one that everyone automatically knows how to spell? Like Bill. Or Jane. Something like that. My whole life, I've had to spell my name, Lauri -- "No, not Lori, not Laurie, not Laura, not Lorie." I've also had to explain, "It's Brian, B-R-EYE-A-N, no 'y'." Every time. Not once has someone written both names down correctly.

I'm thinking of this because this weekend, whether we were with the realtor looking at homes or out shopping, etc., this always came up. I was always standing there, spelling.

But I realized something this weekend. Todd was also spelling. But Todd not only has to spell his name for people, "It's Luckey, L-U-C-K-E-Y," he has to then take all the comments that automatically follow. "Ahhh, so you're lucky!" "Lucky, eh? That's pretty cool." "OOOoooohhhh....Lucky!"

So now I will be Lauri (ends in "i", "no e", not Lori) Lee (masculine, not feminine spelling) Luckey (with an "e", ooohhh, ahhhhh....)

Then there's the alliteration.

I'm not complaining here about any of my current or future names. I like my name. And I like what will be my new last name, I mean, let's be honest, it's reason enough to marry him. Luckey. I'm just sayin'...Lots of spelling and explaining in my future, if history teaches us anything. I don't know why we don't just all wear nametags. Perhaps I need a tattoo, so that when "they" ask, I'll always have it handy to show and tell.