Thursday, March 24, 2005

Canon, my ass.

Oh, say can you see
by the dawn's early light?
What so proudly we hailed
at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars,
through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched,
were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare,
the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night
that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

It occurred to me the other day while listening to the radio that I do not know what "ramparts" are.

rampart, noun
1. A fortification consisting of an embankment, often with a parapet built on top.
2. A means of protection or defense; a bulwark.

The people on the radio were saying ramparts were canons. I knew that shit was wrong. I sincerely hope you feel good about knowing this today. Anything else?