Friday, May 06, 2005

Dream Sharing

This morning, I woke up and realized that I had dreamed about my dead relatives last night. My whole family was throwing me a surprise party -- by whole family, I mean those living and those passed were there, and we were hanging out at my friend Vincent's house in his dining room, which is right off his kitchen, eating party snacks.

I remember specifically talking to my Uncle JT, who died a few years ago. (When I dream about my dead relatives -- my dad, my grandmother, etc., they're always dead in the dream. But they're there -- talking and having a good time and what-not.) Anyway, I was commenting to Uncle JT about how good he looked. And he said to me, "Don't you think I look a little like Uncle Tommy?" Uncle Tommy is dead, too.

It's nice to have these dreams, because it feels like a little bit of a visit from the after-life. They're letting me know they're ok.

All that's good and well, until Sam and I are emailing this morning and he tells me that he had a dream about Ganga (our grandmother, also passed) last night. They were just hanging out in the kitchen at a family gathering, chatting it up. As he was explaining the dream to me, he said, "I'm not sure where we were, but we were just standing there in a kitchen, talking."

I said, "You were at my surprise party. With the rest of the family."

It's a little freaky. In a good way. Dream sharing with Sam is a good thing.