Thursday, June 09, 2005

Passing Thought on Reality TV

I'm sitting here eating my lunch, and I'm wondering if reality TV will soon take over our televisions...Will we get to a point where the only thing to watch is other non-famous, non-beautiful people on TV doing stupid tricks for tons of money? What will become of People Magazine?

We've got shows about amateur boxers, nannies, wife swapping, pretty girls dating ugly guys, bachelorettes, bachelors, "little people" falling in love with normal sized people, a bunch of men on a ranch where no one knows who is gay and who is straight, for love or money types, Martha and Donald's apprentices, people facing their worst fears (which has turned into people eating really nasty things), amazing races, trading spaces, American idols, and of course, Survivor. It seems like the only shows with "real" people we used to see on TV were beauty pageants, game shows, and the news.

I saw a preview the other day about a show where people in a neighborhood will get to choose their own neighbor -- they'll pick a family to move into an empty house on their block...All I can ever think is, "What will they think of next?"

If everyone gets 15 minutes of fame, won't everyone become famous at one point in time? I wonder what I'll have to do to get my fame...?

I need to get back to work and go buy my lottery ticket.