Monday, August 01, 2005

12 Days.

The wedding is 12 days away. And I think I need to start up a 12-step program, but I can't get into that right now. To distract myself from the stress, I'm going to make a list of what a universal, and important, number the number 12 is. Sometimes I just wish that I could sit on the floor on the brown carpet on Pamela Drive and watch Sesame Street and Mister Rogers.

12 inches in a foot
12 months in a year
12 noon, 12 midnight -- our days are divided by it
12 signs in the Western and Chinese zodiac
12 pairs of ribs in the human body (normally)
12 is a dozen, and we measure all things by dozens, including eggs and cookies. Of course there's the Baker's Dozen, which is a mystery in itself.
12 jurors in felony trials (hence, 12 Angry Men)
12 Days of Christmas
Movies with 12: The Dirty Dozen, 12 Monkeys, Ocean's Twelve
12 function keys on most keyboards
Biblical references to the number:
the 12 sons of Jacob,
the 12 tribes of Israel,
the 12 golden dishes for the dedication of the alter,
the 12 baskets of bread,
the 12 Apostles,
the 12 stars on the woman's head,
the 12 gates and foundations of new Jerusalem.
"twice 12" is the number of the heavenly elders;
the tree of life bears 12 manner of fruit;
the 12 apostles of the Lamb.
(I looked those up online, so if anyone istheologicalcal scholar and is reading this and finds error, take it up with the WWW.)

There you go, kids. Now back to work for me.