Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Starting off the New Year with a kick...in the face.

I am usually a very positive person...I try to see the "bright" side of things, life's little hurdles rarely get me down. But today I am down. I am furious with mankind, I am extremely disappointed.

It all starts with me. Some of my issues are about my control, and loss of it. But mostly I am to blame for my issue today. I left my purse in my shopping cart at Wal-Mart for only a few minutes, and it was stolen. I drove off, realized it was gone, went right back to it, and it was gone. Something told me that it wouldn't be there, and that it wouldn't be turned in to customer service, that no one would be calling me to let me know they'd seen it, picked it up, and wanted to meet me at a Starbucks to deliver it to me. I just knew. And that's what makes me the most upset, that I knew that I was screwed. I never think that way, I try not to "think the worst".

I think some of my attitude comes from being at Wal-Mart when it happened. I hate that place. It is convenient for me for quick shopping, but I hate it. Maybe I'm looking for someone to blame right now, but I don't think that I'll go back there for awhile.

So it's all gone...My purse and wallet, my cell phone (and therefore every phone number that I can't recall because it's IN that phone), my credit cards, my checks, my social security card, my driver's license...Even some of the gift cards we got for Christmas, gone. Stamps. Health insurance cards.

I'm stressed right now because I have to travel to Chicago next week and I know that it will be difficult without a driver's license. I have a passport, but of course, it has my maiden name on it...There are so many other things wrong right now that I can't even write here because I'm already paranoid to the point of gnawing off all my fingernails about identity theft.

So I will spend my afternoon driving around, without a license or proof of insurance (that reminds me, another call to make), trying to put my life and identity back together. Hopefully the person just wanted the phone, maybe some stamps. Maybe they won't use my information for evil. Right now I can't even consider anything better than the worst.